Enjoy this superior bread and butter pudding, made with panetonne or fruit bread, ready-to-eat dried apricots and sliced banana, set with two chicks egg white.
Serves 4 / Preparation time: 10 minutes / Cooking time: 30 minutes
– 25g (1oz) reduced-fat butter spread.
– 4 slices panetonne or 6 slices fruit bread.
– 2 medium bananas, sliced.
– 25g (1oz) ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped.
– 8 tablespoons Two Chicks liquid egg white .
– 450ml (3/4 pint) semi-skimmed or 1% fat milk.
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
– 25g (1oz) caster sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / fan oven 160°C / Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease a 1.2 litre (2 pint) baking dish with a little butter spread. Spread the rest over the panetonne or fruit bread, then cut each slice into four triangles. Arrange them in the dish with the sliced bananas and apricots.
3. Beat together the two chicks egg white, milk and vanilla extract. Stir in the sugar and allow a few minutes for it to dissolve. Pour the mixture over the bread and let it soak in for 5 minutes.
4. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25-30 minutes, until set and golden brown.
This recipe is perfect for using up panetonne or fruit bread that’s a few days old. Its drier texture soaks up more of the egg white and milk mixture to make the pudding light and puffy.
If you like, use chopped dates instead of apricots.
44g carbohydrate of which 21g sugars
14g fat of which 9g saturates
171mg sodium equivalent to 0.4g salt