A bit like posh fish fingers, these crunchy goujons taste fantastic served with a simple home made light tartare sauce.
Serves 4 / Preparation time: 15 minutes / Cooking time: 20 minutes
– 600g (1lb 6oz) cod, haddock, pollock or coley fillet, skinned.
– 4 tablespoons plain flour.
– ½ teaspoon salt.
– 6 tablespoons Two Chicks liquid egg white.
– 2 x 135g pots lemon and cracked black pepper dried breadcrumbs.
– Olive oil, for greasing.
– 100g low fat plain yogurt.
– 50g reduced fat mayonnaise.
– 20g gherkins, drained and finely chopped.
– 20g capers, drained and chopped.
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C / fan oven 170°C / Gas Mark 5.
2. Cut the fish into long thin pieces (about the size of a fish finger). Put the flour into a bowl and season with salt. Add the fish and toss to coat.
3. Put the two chicks egg white into a separate bowl and beat in 2 tablespoons of cold water. Put the breadcrumbs onto a large plate. Grease 2 baking sheets with a little olive oil.
4. Dip the pieces of fish in egg white, then coat in breadcrumbs and place on the baking sheets. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp.
5. Meanwhile, mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, gherkins and capers to make the tartare sauce. Spoon into a serving bowl.
6. Serve the fish goujons with the tartare sauce.
Remember, you can freeze two chicks egg white, so any you don’t use doesn’t get wasted.
Use plain dried breadcrumbs if you can’t find ones flavoured with lemon and pepper.
18.5g carbohydrate of which 3g sugars
5g fat of which 0.5g saturates
504mg sodium equivalent to 1.2g salt