Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus 10 minutes soaking
Cooking time: 30 minutes
– 100g (4oz) fresh white breadcrumbs (from low calorie bread)
– 300ml (1/2 pint) skimmed milk
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 50g (2oz) caster sugar
– 300ml (1/2 pint) Two Chicks free-range liquid egg white
– 2 tbsp low sugar blackcurrant or blackberry jam
– 100g (4oz) blueberries
– 100g (4oz) raspberries
1. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs into a 1.2 litre (2 pint) baking dish.
2. Warm the milk and vanilla extract in a saucepan, taking care that it doesn’t get too hot. Remove from the heat and add half the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Pour into the baking dish and stir into the breadcrumbs, stir in 100ml (3 ½ fl oz) two chicks egg white, then leave to soak for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.
4. Bake the pudding for 20-25 minutes, until set. Remove the baking dish from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile warm the jam in a saucepan with 1 tbsp water and gently stir in the blueberries and raspberries. Spoon into the baking dish in an even layer.
5. Whisk the remaining two chicks egg white in a grease-free bowl until it holds its shape, then add the remaining sugar, whisking again until stiff and glossy. Pile the meringue on top of the pudding, then return it to the oven to bake for a further 5-8 minutes, until golden brown. Serve at once.
Egg white won’t whip if there is the slightest trace of grease in the bowl or on the beaters – so wash in hot soapy water first, just to make sure.
Make the pudding with thawed frozen summer berries when fresh ones are out of season.
Two chicks free-range liquid egg white is pasteurised and comes from hens fed on a GM-free diet. It doesn’t contain any fat or cholesterol.