This light, low-fat ‘Light-as-air Sponge Cake’ is made with Two Chicks free-range liquid egg whites, sugar and flour, with a hint of vanilla. It has a clever low fat filling, with reduced sugar jam and fresh berries.
Serves 6-8 / Preparation time: 25 minutes / Cooking time: 10 minutes
Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus freezing time
Cooking time: 2 hours for meringues.
– A little vegetable oil.
– 8 tablespoons Two Chicks free-range liquid egg white.
– 125g (5oz) caster sugar.
– 75g (3oz) low fat spread, melted and cooled.
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
– 125g (5oz) plain flour.
– 150g (6oz) low fat soft cheese.
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
– 1 tablespoon icing sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling.
– 100g (4oz) raspberries or sliced strawberries.
– 2 tablespoons reduced sugar raspberry or strawberry jam.
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/fan oven 170°C. Lightly grease 2x18cm (7in) sandwich tins with vegetable oil and line their bases with non-stick baking paper or greaseproof paper.
2. Whisk the two chicks free-range liquid egg white in a large grease-free mixing bowl until it holds its shape. Whisk in the caster sugar to form firm peaks.
3. Slowly add the melted spread, whisking well. Stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Sift the flour into the bowl and use a large metal spoon to fold it in. Do this gently and carefully, so that you retain the air that you’ve whisked in. Spoon into the prepared tins and level the surfaces. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden and firm. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool, removing the baking paper.
5. For the filling, mix together the soft cheese, vanilla extract and icing sugar. Spread over the surface of one of the cakes and scatter the raspberries or sliced strawberries on top. Spread the raspberry or strawberry jam on the underside of the second cake, then sandwich the cakes together. Serve, sprinkled with icing sugar.
Take care when folding in the flour – you need to do it very gently.
When fresh raspberries and strawberries are out of season, use thawed frozen berries instead – or just leave them out.
Once opened, a carton of two chicks free-range liquid egg white will keep in the refrigerator for 7 days.
Per serving (serves 8)
35g carbohydrate of which 23g sugars
5.5g fat of which 2g saturates
169mg sodium equivalent to 0.4g salt