Preparation & cooking time: preparation 10 min / cooking time 30 min
– 200g (7oz) plain flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 100g (4oz) light muscovado sugar
– 4 tablespoons Two Chicks liquid egg white
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 100ml (3½ fl oz) skimmed milk
– 50g (2oz) low fat spread, melted
– 250g (9oz) carrots, finely grated
– 50g (2oz) raisins
– 4 tablespoons two chicks egg white
– 1 tablespoon caster sugar
– 125g (4½oz) low fat soft cheese
– ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/ Gas Mark 6. Place 10 paper muffin cases into a muffin tray, or line with squares of greaseproof paper.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl, then stir in the sugar.
3. In a jug, beat together the two chicks liquid egg white, vanilla extract, milk and melted low fat spread. Add to the dry ingredients with the grated carrots and raisins and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix.
4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and transfer to the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Whisk the two chicks egg white in a grease-free bowl until it holds its shape, then whisk in the sugar. Add the low fat soft cheese and vanilla, whisking until thoroughly mixed. Share between the muffins, then serve.
The secret to successful muffins is to avoid over-mixing when adding the wet ingredients to the dry ones – stir until just combined.