Preparation & cooking time: 1 hour 15 min
Cannot be frozen
For the sponge cakes:
– 225 g | 8 oz | 1 cup margarine, softened
– 225 g | 8 oz | 1 cup caster sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 200g of Two Chicks Liquid Whole Egg
– 200 g | 7 oz | 1 ⅓ cups self-raising flour
– 1 tbsp cornflour
For the passion fruit cream:
– 250 ml | 9 fl oz | 1 cup whipping cream
– 80 g | 3 oz | ⅔ cup icing sugar, sifted
– 1 vanilla pod, split with seeds scraped out
– 2 passion fruit, halved
1. For the sponges: Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Grease eight individual non-stick sponge tins with a little of the margarine.
2. Cream together the remaining margarine with the caster sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl until thick, pale, and fluffy.
3. Beat the eggs, one scant tablespoon at a time, into the creamed margarine. Fold through the flour and cornflour until you have a smooth batter.
4. Divide the batter between the tins and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until golden, risen, and a cake tester comes out clean from their centres. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
5. For the passion fruit cream: Whip the cream with 65 g of the icing sugar and the vanilla pod seeds in a mixing bowl until thick and softly peaked.
6. Scoop the passion fruit puree into the cream and fold gently to incorporate. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
7. Once the sponges have cooled, turn them out from their tins. Spread half of them with the cream before sandwiching against the remaining sponges.
8. Dust lightly with the remaining icing sugar before serving.