Preparation & cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Cannot be frozen
For the filling:
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 600 g | 21 oz minced (ground) beef
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
– 1 tbsp tomato puree
– 200 ml | 7 fl oz | ⅞ cup meat stock
– Red Wine
– 250 g | 9 oz canned chopped tomatoes
– 200 g | 7 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
– Cayenne Pepper
For the pancakes:
– 225 g | 8 oz | 2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
– 1 pinch salt
– 250 (8 fl oz) ml Two Chicks liquid egg white
– 450 ml | 16 fl oz | 2 cups milk
– 1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. For the filling: heat the oil in a pan and cook the beef until browned. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the tomato puree, stock and a dash of red wine. Simmer for a few minutes and then add the tomatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens.
3. Add the beans and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
4. For the pancakes: sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the Two Chicks liquid egg white and beat well.
5. Add half the milk and beat until smooth. Stir in the remaining milk until blended.
6. Lightly oil a pancake or frying pan and heat until smoking hot. Add enough batter to coat the base. Cook until set and lightly golden then turn over and cook for another 50 seconds. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining batter, greasing the pan between each pancake.
7. Slide the cooked pancakes onto a plate, layering up the pancakes with non-stick baking paper, so they don’t stick together.
8. Divide the filling between the pancakes, placing it in the centre of each one and gather up the pancake over the mixture.
9. Secure with wooden cocktail sticks and a small piece of rosemary.