Serves: 2 (4 as a side dish)
Preparation & cooking time: preparation 15 min / cooking time 1 hour
– 1 small butternut squash (weighing about 650g/1lb 7oz), halved lengthways and deseeded
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 small onion, finely chopped
– 1 garlic clove, crushed
– 1 small aubergine, finely chopped into approx.1cm (1/2 inch) pieces
– 100g (4oz) mushrooms, finely chopped
– 1 large tomato, finely chopped
– 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
– 4 tablespoons Two Chicks liquid egg white
– salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 2 teaspoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6.
2. Arrange the butternut squash in a baking dish, cut sides up. Brush the surface with a little olive oil, then cover with foil (or a lid) and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until soft, then add the garlic, aubergine, mushrooms, tomatoes and herbs. Cook, stirring often, for 10-15 minutes until very soft, adding a splash of water if the mixture becomes too dry. Cool for 10 minutes.
4. Stir the Two Chicks liquid egg white into the aubergine mixture, season with salt and pepper, then pile onto the roasted butternut squash. Cover once more and return to the oven to cook for a further 10-15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.