Serves: 8 – 10 pieces
Preparation & cook time: 20 minutes
Chilling: 30 minutes
Cannot be frozen
For the pancakes
– 150 g | 5 oz cooked beetroot, cut into chunks
– 100 ml | 3 ½ fl oz | 7 tbsp milk
– 4 tbsp Two Chicks liquid egg white
– 90 g | 3 oz | 1 cup (scant) plain (all purpose) flour
– 1 pinch salt
– Vegetable oil, for frying
For the filling
– 8 – 10 tbsp cream cheese with herbs and garlic
– 4 tbsp snipped chives
– Freshly ground black pepper
1. For the pancakes: put the beetroot, milk and Two Chicks liquid egg whites into a food processor and blend until combined.
2. Add the flour and salt and blend until smooth.
3. Lightly oil a pancake or frying pan and heat until smoking hot. Add enough batter to coat the base. Cook until set, then turn over and cook for another 50 seconds. Remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining batter, greasing the pan between each pancake.
4. Slide the cooked pancakes onto a plate, layering up the pancakes with non-stick baking paper, so they don’t stick together. Leave to cool completely.
5. Spread the pancakes with the cream cheese and sprinkle with chives.
6. Place on a sheet of cling film and roll up the pancakes tightly in the cling film, twisting both ends to seal. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
7. Cut each pancake into 4-5 pieces and sprinkle with black pepper.