This is a clever, quick idea for a sensational low fat dessert – one that you can pull out of the hat at a moment’s notice.
Serves 2 / Preparation time: 10 minutes / Cooking time: 3-4 minutes
– 2 plain rice cakes
– 2 tablespoons reduced sugar strawberry or raspberry jam
– 1 peach or nectarine, pitted and sliced
– 6 tablespoons Two Chicks liquid egg white
– 3 tablespoons caster sugar
– 2 scoops low fat ice cream or sorbet
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan oven 180°C / Gas Mark 6.
2. Spread each rice cake with 1 tablespoon of jam. Place on a baking sheet. Arrange the peach or nectarine slices in the centre of the rice cakes, so that there is a space in the middle to put the ice cream or sorbet.
3. Whisk the two chicks egg white in a clean, grease-free bowl until it forms soft peaks. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar until the mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks.
4. Working quickly, place a scoop of ice cream or sorbet into the middle of the fruit slices. Next, pile the meringue on top of the rice cakes to completely cover the ice cream or sorbet and fruit, then immediately transfer to the oven and bake for 3-4 minutes until golden. Eat at once!
Try not to leave any gaps between the rice cakes and the meringue.
Position the oven shelf just above the centre of the oven, so that there’s enough space for the Baked Alaskas to fit in.
Vary the fruit and variety of ice cream or sorbet as you wish. Try mango sprinkled with the pulp and seeds from a passion fruit for a tropical flavour.
76.5g carbohydrate of which 52.5g sugars
5g fat of which 0.3g saturates
77mg sodium equivalent to 0.2g salt