Preparation & cooking time: preparation 10 min / cooking time 25 min
– 100g (4oz) spinach
– 250g (9oz) plain flour
– pinch of salt.
– 1 tablespoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon caster sugar
– 100ml (3 ½ fl oz) Two Chicks liquid egg white
– 200ml (7fl oz) skimmed milk
– 100g (4oz) low fat spread, melted
– 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
– freshly ground black pepper
– 50g (2oz) smoked salmon, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C. Place 10 paper muffin cases into a muffin tray, or line with squares of greaseproof paper.
2. Cook the spinach in a little boiling water for 2-3 minutes, until wilted. Drain well, rinse with cold water and squeeze out the excess moisture. Chop finely.
3. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar. In a jug, beat together the Two Chicks liquid egg white, milk, melted spread, mustard and black pepper.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and add the smoked salmon and spinach. Stir until the ingredients are just combined. (The secret of successful muffins is to avoid over-mixing when adding the wet ingredients to the dry ones).
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden. Serve warm, or freeze when cold to use later.
Try using watercress or rocket instead of spinach, cooking it in the same way.
Use smoked salmon trimmings for economy.
If you’re wondering why sugar is in the recipe, it improves the texture and flavour.