Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
– 300ml (1/2 pint) Two Chicks liquid egg white
– 4 tbsp skimmed milk
– 3 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (parsley, chives, thyme or dill)
– 1 courgette, sliced
– 150g (6oz) asparagus, cut into short lengths
– 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
– Low fat cooking spray or ½ tsp vegetable oil
– 12 cherry tomatoes
– 25g (1oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Lightly beat the Two Chicks liquid egg white, milk and herbs together. Season with a little salt and pepper.
2 Steam the courgette, asparagus and spring onions for 3-4 minutes, until just tender, or simmer in a small amount of boiling water for the same amount of time. Drain thoroughly.
3 Preheat the grill to medium-hot.
4 Heat a small, deep non-stick frying pan on the hob and spray with low fat cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil. Add the cooked vegetables, the cherry tomatoes and the whisked egg white mixture. Cook over a low heat until the base has set – about 5-6 minutes.
5 Sprinkle the surface of the fritatta with the grated cheese. Transfer to the grill to set and brown the surface – about 4-5 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
This is a great recipe for using up a few leftover vegetables.
Instead of cooking in the hob and under the grill, the fritatta can be baked in the oven at 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4 for 25-30 minutes.
A 500ml pack of two chicks free-range liquid egg white contains the equivalent of 15 medium egg whites.